Public Health Resource Centre
The Public Health Resource Centre is a lending library for anyone who lives, works, or goes to school in Waterloo Region. Teaching kits, displays, DVDs, laminated posters, and books may be borrowed free of charge. Pamphlets are available to keep. For more information, including hours and contact information, click here. They also have other helpful information like cookbooks readily available.
- The Urban Farmers Company The Urban Farmers Company is currently in a research and development phase to connect with local farmers, vendors and consumers who are interested in providing sustainability at an affordable cost.Email: email@example.com Phone 519-212-2612. face book search for: The Urban Farmers Company to like us on facebook.
- Foodlink Connecting Waterloo Region to Local Food!
- The Food Sytem Round Table Waterloo Region The Roundtable is a networking and policy-making group working on building a strong voice for a healthy food system in Waterloo Region. We are a group of eighteen representatives from key sectors and interests of the local food system who share the goal of a healthier food system in Waterloo Region. Our representatives include local farmers; emergency food providers; food processing, distributing, and retail businesspeople; health professionals; and more.
- If you are looking for items for your garden – from a shed to fencing to planting pots – try posting an ad on Kijiji (http://kitchener.kijiji.ca) or Craig’s List (http://kitchener.en.craigslist.ca). This is a great way to find cheap or free items for your garden. You can search other’s ads to see if there is something that you could use or you could put your own posting on there to ask for exactly what you need.
- There is also a Yahoo Group Freecycle. You have to sign up to be a member with Yahoo email account but you will have access to a variety of free items that may be of use to your garden. Again you could post items that you are in need of as well. http://www.freecycle.org/group/Canada/Ontario/Kitchener/info
- Sustain Ontario website has been launched! Sustain Ontario - The Alliance for Healthy Food and Farming. Food Connects Us All! Join a growing network of organizations, farmers and enterprises working on food and agriculture issues in Ontario.
- Cambridge Activities Guide
- Will Allen at the Growing Power Farm
- Path to Freedom
- ‘The Garden’ is a film that explores and exposes the fault lines in American society and raises crucial and challenging questions about liberty, equality, and justice for the poorest and most vulnerable among us. It documents the struggles of citizens in a Los Angeles neighbourhood to take back their community garden: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6VaUIQSxU and http://www.blackvalleyfilms.com/
- Hands For Nature: A Volunteer Management Handbook: http://www.evergreen.ca/en/resources/docs/hands/hands-04.html#4-1
- No Plot is Too Small: A Community's Guide to Restoring Public Landscapes by Stewart Chisholm and Randee Holmes http://www.evergreen.ca/en/cg/resources/noplot/
- Master Gardener resource: Growing Plants From Seeds
- Community Gardening Toolkit by Bill McKelvey http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=MP906
- Soil Assessment Guide from Toronto Board of Health: Guide